Published with permission from “Hungry Girl Clean & Hungry Obsessed!”
Makes 4 servings
2 pounds spiralized zucchini (about 4 medium zucchini)
1¾ cups canned crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1½ teaspoons white wine vinegar
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
¾ teaspoon garlic powder
¾ teaspoon onion powder
1½ teaspoons olive oil
¼ cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped carrots
8 ounces raw, extra-lean ground beef (4 percent fat or less)
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Optional topping: grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring an extra-large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Cook and stir zucchini until hot and slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer zucchini to a strainer, and thoroughly drain excess liquid.
- In a medium-large bowl, combine crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar and Italian seasoning. Add ½ teaspoon each garlic powder and onion powder, and mix well.
- Drizzle oil in the skillet, and return to medium-high heat. Add celery, onion and carrots. Cook and stir until slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add beef, and season with salt, pepper and remaining ¼ teaspoon each garlic powder and onion powder. Cook, stir and crumble until veggies have softened and beef is fully cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato mixture to the skillet. Cook and stir until hot and well mixed, about 1 minute.
- Add drained zucchini, and cook and stir until hot and well mixed, about 2 minutes.
¼ of recipe (about 1¾ cups): 181 calories, 5 grams total fat (1.5 grams saturated fat), 579 milligrams sodium, 18.5 grams carbs, 5 grams fiber, 11 grams sugars, 17 grams protein