Each year The Chronicle of Higher Education publishes an almanac. The facts in this article are taken from information in the 2018-19 issue. While many readers follow the college football rankings on a weekly basis, there is far more to know about colleges around the country. The following quiz has the correct answers at the end. But don’t look at the answers until you’ve complete the quiz.
- Which four-year private, nonprofit institution has the highest percentage of full professors on the faculty? a. Davidson, b. Rice, c. Curry, d. Brown.
- The public college with the largest enrollment is: a. Rutgers, b. University of Central Florida, c. University of Florida, d. University of Texas.
- A private nonprofit institution with the largest enrollment (and a doctoral program) is: a. Boston University, b. New York University, c. Harvard, d. Columbia
- Among universities, which was the fastest-growing? a. Rutgers, b. University of Alabama c. Georgia Tech, d. Florida International University
- Among four-year private colleges, which drew the highest percentage of first-time students from out of state? A. Yale, b. Wesleyan (Conn.), c. Vanderbilt, d. American.
- Which public university drew the highest percentage of first-time students from out-of-state? A. University of Vermont, b. University of Rhode Island, c. University of Alabama, d. University of Mississippi.
- In the Middle East and North Africa, which country had the most study-abroad students from the US. a. Jordan, b. Egypt, c. Israel, d. United Arab Emirates.
- Of the more than 10,000 open online courses, which course area has the most students? a. Engineering, b. Science, c. Technology, d. Business.
- The field of study that produced the most bachelor’s degrees was: a. Business, management, marketing and related areas, b. Health professions and related programs, c. Psychology, d. Engineering.
- Which public institution has the best four-year graduation rate? a. University of Connecticut, b. Binghamton, c. Michigan, d. University of Virginia.
- Among these four-year private colleges, who has the best four-year graduation rate? a. Princeton, b. Pomona, c. University of Chicago, d. Washington and Lee.
- The university that granted the most research doctorates in engineering was: a. MIT b. Purdue, c. Stanford, d. Georgia Tech.
- Which four-year private nonprofit institution was most expensive among these choices? a. Barnard, b. University of Pennsylvania, c. Franklin & Marshall, d. Washington University in St. Louis
- Which public institution cost the most for in-state students? a. University of Colorado, b. University of Pittsburgh, c. University of Massachusetts, d. University of Illinois.
- For out-of state students, which public university is most expensive? a. Rutgers, b. Texas, c. Arizona, d. Michigan.
- Among the following colleges, which has the largest endowment? a. Syracuse, b. University of Rochester, c. Ohio State, d. Emory.
- Which of these colleges raised the most in private donations? a. Duke, b. Northwestern, C. Princeton, d. Johns Hopkins.
- How many four-year public colleges are in the state of Georgia? a. 33, b. 28, c. 25, d. 20.
- The number of two-year public colleges in the state of Georgia are? a. 15, b. 20, c. 23, d. 26.
- Which university granted the most research doctorates in education? a. University of Georgia, b. Teachers College, Columbia University, c. Michigan State, d. University of Minnesota.
Dr. Mark Fisher is a college and career consultant at Fisher Educational Consultants (www.fishereducationalconsultants.com) and a consultant for the College Planning Institute (www.GotoCPI.com).
Correct Answers: 1.a, 2.b, 3.c, 4.b, 5.d, 6.a, 7.c, 8.c, 9.a, 10.d, 11.b, 12.d, 13.a, 14.b, 15.d, 16.d, 17.d, 18.a, 19.c, 20.b.