CAPTURING THE MOMENT CORRECTLY
There are a lot of things to consider when choosing your simcha photographers:
- There are many different styles of photography that are used. Some photographers like to be more photojournalistic, while others stick to the more traditional style. These are important factors to consider.
- Another very important thing to think about are family pictures. Make sure to tell your family members to come for pictures at the designated times.
- You want to be able to look back years later and remember all the people that came to share this joyous occasion with you.
- Regardless what kind of event yours will be, your photographer needs be familiar with the subject at hand. Celebrations like bar or bat mitzvahs and weddings have an element of spontaneity, and someone who isn’t familiar with what’s going on might not be aware and thereby miss the moment.
- Another thing to consider is if you receive fast response time from your photographer. Planning an event can be very tedious, and a good photographer can really be a big help in that matter.
A bar/bat mitzvah in particular requires a lot of preparation work. Your photographer can help reduce that by taking your sign-in board to the framers and picking it up for you. Always ask if they offer this service.
Also, a good photographer needs to be good with people. Feel him or her out and make sure you are comfortable with them (and vice versa).
Make sure your photographer knows lighting. Whether it is bringing his or her own lighting or using available lights, the photographer has to have that know-how. Good lighting makes for a good photo or video.
Finally, ask about retouching. With today’s digital technology, a lot of really wonderful things can be accomplished with retouching; sometimes, a person can be made to look years or even decades younger with the click of a mouse.
A bar or bat mitzvah or a wedding is a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence, so it is very important to capture the memories of the event. You want to feel carefree and be able to enjoy your event while it’s happening. A good photographer will get the job done and be unobtrusive.
Remember, when it is all said and done, your photos and video are some of the few things you get to take with you from your simcha. Make sure they’re great by getting the right photographer and videographer!
Editor’s Note: Contact Ross Cohen of Cohen Photographic Art at (404) 783-0808.
From Cohen Photographic Art
For the Atlanta Jewish Times