Published with permission from “Hungry Girl Clean & Hungry Obsessed!”
Makes 6 servings
This soup is SO creamy, which is quite a coup, given its lean and clean ingredients! And it’s amazing with my Cauliflower Power Biscuit Bakes.
You’ll need: large pot, meat mallet, large skillet, nonstick spray, strainer, blender or food processor
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
4 cups roughly chopped cauliflower
10 ounces raw boneless, skinless chicken breast
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 cups fat-free milk
½ cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups frozen petite mixed vegetables
1 cup chicken broth
1½ tablespoons chopped garlic
1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
Dash ground sage
Optional seasonings: additional salt and black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook cauliflower until very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pound chicken to a ½-inch thickness. Season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat. Cook chicken for about 4 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Transfer cauliflower to a strainer to drain.
- Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Place drained cauliflower in a blender or food processor. Add milk and cheese, and puree until mostly smooth and uniform.
- Spray the (empty) pot with nonstick spray, and bring to medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion until mostly softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add cauliflower puree, chopped chicken and remaining ingredients, including the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook and stir until frozen veggies have thawed and soup is hot and well mixed, about 5 minutes.
1/6 of recipe (about 1 cup): 172 calories, 3.5 grams total fat (1.5 grams saturated fat), 597 milligrams sodium, 16 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 8.5 grams sugars, 18.5 grams protein
Chew on this: Back in the days of the Roman Empire, chicken pot pies were sometimes served with LIVE birds under the shell that would burst out when served. Talk about a show!