We’ve all had our fair share of chicken wings, but have you ever tasted wings outside the flavors of mild, medium and hot? How about brined in sweet tea and glazed in cola? Or slow-roasted with caramelized honey and a Chilean pepper hot sauce?
If the thought of those upgraded ingredient combinations makes your mouth water, clear out your calendar for Sunday, Aug. 20.
Twenty-five restaurants from around Atlanta and the Southeast (Charlotte, Savannah, Chattanooga and Nashville) are stepping up their wing game for the showdown. Each restaurant competes for the “best wing” title and trophy, so each chef is concocting a creative combination of ingredients for a discerning audience.
Each event attendee is allotted one golden token to vote for the favorite wing. That decision will be as tough as the physical act of consuming all 25 types of wings (with unlimited capacities). Whether you attend with a general-admission ticket or as a first-taster VIP, the wings are all you can eat.
Get a sneak peek at what some of the Atlanta restaurants are bringing to the table:
- From Bhojanic, Buckhead’s best Indian restaurant, chef Archna Becker will bring the heat with Mango Chili Wings.
- Representing one of Atlanta’s long-running restaurant institutions, Canoe executive chef Matthew Basford will serve Pimento Cheese Chicken Wings With Green Strawberry Kimchi.
- Donetto has not opened to the public, but chef Mike Perez will unveil a Pollo Frito With Calabrian Chili and Basil Sauce — aka a fancy and flavorful wing. The restaurant is a part of the Indigo Road Restaurant Group, which owns popular Atlanta spots O-Ku, Colletta and Oak Steakhouse.
- From Inman Park’s designated hot spot, Hampton + Hudson chef Savannah Sasser will sample Sweet T Brined Cola Glazed + Spicy Peanut Wings.
- Local Republic is getting creative with its take on chicken wings. Chef Scott Smith will serve a variation with local honey, sriracha, fish sauce and sesame seeds.
- Chef Nick Anderson from City Winery will offer a funky take on wings and cook Jerk Wings With Mango Pico.
- Saltyard chef Nick Leahy’s menu item will be Slow Roasted Wings With Caramelized Honey and Chilean Pepper Hot Sauce, Bleu Cheese Slaw and Pickled Okra.
- Chef Todd Richards from Richards’ Southern Fried will serve his signature wing, Richards’ Southern Fried Hot Chicken Wing With Pimento Ranch.
- One Flew South chef Jared Hall will use his expert marinating skills to create Sweet N’ Spicy Wings.
Participating restaurants and chefs from Atlanta also include Drew Van Leuvan from Seven Lamps, Woody Back from Table & Main, Brian Carson from The Mercury, Brian Meiler from JCT Kitchen and Aaron Avers from The Establishment.
Read more about the showdown and see a complete list of restaurants at SouthernWingShowdown.com. Buy tickets online and check out the event on Facebook (Southern Wing Showdown), Instagram (@southernwingshowdown) and Twitter (@wingshowdown).