Here are a few essential, interesting and fun items to start the day right in the Jewish community.
In Case You Missed It
- FuegoMundo has a new owner, but he’s a familiar face who promises to keep the kosher South American concept. (In other Jewish-owned-restaurant news, Ray’s Rio Bravo, which opened to much excitement in August 2015, has closed.)
To Do Today
- Today’s the Washington’s Birthday holiday (or Presidents Day, if you prefer). If you’re off work and/or the kids are out of school, it’s s fine time to visit the Breman to see the first phase of the “Atlanta Collects” exhibit before it closes next Sunday.
From The Times of Israel
- A regional peace deal was in reach early in 2016 until Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s political allies pressured him to drop it, opposition leader Isaac Herzog says.
- Two rockets fired from the Sinai hit an unpopulated area of southern Israel near Gaza early Monday.
- Israeli Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman called for Saudi Arabia and other “moderate” Sunni nations to align with Israel against Iran, which is complaining about everyone ganging up against it.
Also in the News
- Israeli NBA pioneer Omri Casspi is expected to be part of a blockbuster trade that will move him from the Sacramento Kings to the New Orleans Pelicans, ESPN and others report. Casspi has a calf injury and hasn’t played since Jan. 6. Casspi was traded to the Pelicans in 2014, but the team waived him.
- The Reform movement for the first time is opposing the nomination of a U.S. ambassador to Israel.
- Vice President Mike Pence and his family visited Dachau on Sunday, JTA reports.
- “Notorious Nashvillian” Perry March is suing the Tennessee Department of Correction and food service company Aramark over the quality of the kosher food he gets while serving a 56-year prison term related to his wife’s disappearance in 1996 and a plot to kill her parents, The Tennessean reports.
- The Forward’s Jay Michaelson offers the answer he wishes President Donald Trump had given when asked about anti-Semitism at his press conference Feb. 16.
- At Tablet, Martin Peretz defends New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft (and takes a few shots at the obsessed anti-Trump forces) in response to a pre-Super Bowl Tablet open letter to Kraft from Matthew Fishbane.
- Sherwin Pomerantz, long an active player on the Israeli end of Conexx deals, writes at his Times of Israel blog about the rise of chaos in the world. (Become an AJT blogger, and your posts also will appear on The Times of Israel.)
- Peter Beinart recently had a bizarre column for The Forward in which he cast blame and shame at the Modern Orthodox world because Jared Kushner hasn’t controlled the president. Shai Franklin follows up on his Cold War Brat blog by arguing that the Jewishness of Kushner and wife Ivanka Trump is a legitimate target because of Trump.