The Israeli Consulate General to the Southeast distributed this list of reasons why the nuclear agreement between Iran and six world powers impairs Israel’s national security:
- The agreement enables Iran to continue significant enrichment that does not reflect any “practical needs” for civilian use. These capabilities have been acquired by deception, concealment and above all recurring violations of U.N. Security Council resolutions.
- In placing partial constraints for a limited number of years and in restricted areas, the agreement, for the most part, postpones Iran obtaining a military nuclear capability. When these limitations end, Iran will be able to increase its overall enrichment capacity significantly.
- The agreement does not adequately limit Iran’s research and development capabilities, particularly in relation to advanced centrifuges. Under the less restrictive terms of the agreement, Iran could, in the case of breakout to a nuclear device, rely on its ability to enrich rapidly and covertly. This will shorten the breakout time needed to produce a bomb.
- The agreement does not exclude to a sufficient degree Iran’s weaponization activity, which Iran still needs to master. Iran already has the enrichment capability to produce a bomb as well as suitable delivery means (ballistic missiles and advanced guided missiles). Without limitations on weaponization, the way is paved for Iran to assemble a bomb.
- The agreement moderately terminates U.N. Security Council resolutions that imposed an arms embargo on Iran and restrictions on ballistic missiles capabilities. The outcome could enable Iran to further develop its missile program and enhance conventional military capabilities.
- The agreement does not ensure a tight enough monitoring and verification mechanism of “anytime and anywhere.” Even under International Atomic Energy Agency safeguards, Iran will be able to continue evading and concealing. Iran has reached its advanced nuclear capability covertly despite the IAEA’s safeguards mechanism.
- The imminent removal of sanctions imposed on Iran eliminates the most efficient leverage that was restricting Iran’s actions and that brought it to the negotiating table. Maintaining pressure is the only means of ensuring that Iran will uphold its commitments.
- As part of the economic benefits of the agreement, Iran will gain access to frozen funds (which could amount up to $150 billion). These funds can be used to increase Iran’s subversive activities in the region and its support of terror (including Hezbollah) against Israel and its neighbors, as well as to strengthen the rule of the ayatollahs. Iran’s subversive activities in Iraq, Syria, Lebanon and Yemen will only increase, enjoying perceived international legitimacy deriving from this agreement and an empowered status as a threshold nuclear state.
• Nuclear capabilities in the hands of Iran are a game changer and will almost certainly spark a nuclear arms race that will undermine regional security in the Middle East. A nuclear Iran is a threat not only to Israel, but also to the moderate countries in the Middle East and well beyond